If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will probably have read my moans and groans in the past about how difficult it can be to find a good choice of ethical and affordable fashion. I have in the past used this as an excuse for not buying ethically.
But recently, whilst bumbling around the internet I have come across more and more ethical fashion brands which I really like. Whilst I agree ethical fashion on the high street is still pretty rare, I think there is actually now a reasonably good selection of places to buy ethical and affordable fashion.
I decided to try and prove myself wrong about the lack of choice and compile a list of 40 online places to buy affordable ethical fashion online. I really surprised myself by managing it quite easily and there was not a single piece of hippyish hemp clothing in site. I have checked out each of these websites one by one and they all sell clothes and accessories that I would consider buying. The term affordable is quite subjective as we can all afford to spend different amounts on clothes, but all of this retailers are have prices comparable with those on the high street and some have really affordable prices.
Making this list has proved a really useful exercise and I will definitely be using it as reference when shopping online in the future. I hope that you find it useful and will book mark it and share with friends them find affordable ethical clothing too. I hope to publish another list this time next year, perhaps I will be able to make it 100 instead of 40. Please share any ideas you have in the comments.
So here they are! Did you realise there were this many?
1. Brag Vintage – an eclectic collection of wearable vintage pieces with free next day delivery and 15% discount when you use STYLEEYES at checkout.
2. ASOS Eco Edit – a selection of ethical fashion and sustainable fashion brands. Check out the credentials of the individual brands!
4. ASOS Marketplace – an online marketplace featuring some second hand and vintage clothing.
5. Bibico – a Fairtrade clothing company selling simple charming clothes.
6. Beaumont Organic – Simple but luxurious clothing made from organic cotton.
7. Beyond Retro – a great online store with a huge selection of vintage clothing.
8. Celtic & Co – classic and timeless styles handmade in organic and natural materials in their factory in Cornwall.
9. Earth Kind Originals – A Cornwall based clothing brand selling relaxed styles,ethically made in Turkey from sustainable fabrics.
10. Thought Clothing – feel good fashion made from sustainable fabrics including bamboo, hemp and organic cotton. Look out for laid back styles, unique prints and a touch of boho. on brands including Nancy Dee, Braintree Hemp and Komodo.
11. Ethical Superstore – A general online shop selling a great range of ethical products incliding clothing from brands like nomads, Thought and People Tree.
12. Etsy Eco Friendly – a great selection of eco friendly fashion sold by independant makers and traders on Etsy.
13. Etsy Vintage – most people will probably already know this one but just in case you don’t the Etsy marketplace features a large selection of vintage clothes.
14. Fashion Compassion – clothing sourceed responsibly from brands that contribute to society and empower women. This organisation also donates a proportion of its profits to charity.
15. Fashion Conscience – an excellent selection of some really affordable fashion including some of the better known brands and vegan shoes.
17. Gather and See – an online boutique stocking sustainable fashion by some seriously hip brands including Lalesso, Kowtow and Feral Childe.
18. Howies – an active clothing company creating high quality, low impact clothing. Particularly organic cotton t shirts and tops.
19. Komodo – an international fashion brand pioneering the development of ecologically produced and fairly traded clothing in a mainstream fashion market.
20. Nancy Dee– An ethical brand designing day to evening jersey clothing that is made from organic cotton, soya bean,bamboo, linen and silk.
21. Nobodys Child – a fresh and fashionable brand with very affordable pieces made with their own fabrics, designed and produced with their own prints, and made in their own factories.
22. Not on the High Street – an online market place with quite a few eco fashion and made in Britain choices. Check out Charlotte’s Web and Patchouli Fair for fair trade fashion and Liv for sustainable and organic cotton pieces.
23. Made UK – a fair-trade accessories brand that produces jewellery and leather goods in a Nairobi workshop in Kenya. Committed to supporting and promoting trade in Africa.
24. Maude and Tommy – a York based boutique selling a fabulous selection of beautiful clothes made using organic, recycled, vintage and eco fibres together with fair trade manufacture.
25. Monkee Genes – GOTS and Soil Association ceritfied organic cotton jeans in a variety of colours and fits.
26. Oxfam Online – of course I couldn’t write a list on affordable ethical fashion without mentioning Oxfam. Not only does their online shop stock a great selection of second hand and vintage clothes but the money you spend also goes to a great cause.
27. People Tree – one of the original pioneers of fairtrade fashion, People Tree also have some amazing sales.
28. Rokit Vintage – one of my favourite places to buy vintage clothing online. Always a great selection with some reworked/ refashioned items.
29. Seasalt Cornwall – UK based company selling beautiful clothes made from certified organic materials with interesting colours and patterns.
30. Spartoo – an online shoe retailer selling Dream in Green and some other ethical shoe brands.
31. The Natural Collection – a wide selection of ecologically-considered products including fashion and accessories.
32. The Natural Store – a selection of products including clothing from unique artisans and designers, cottage industries or well-known brands, either; Crafted, Fair Trade, Local, Natural, Organic, Recycled, Reclaimed, Vegan, Vegetarian or Vintage.
33. Timberland – Rugged, outdoor-tested, environmentally-conscious gear for men, women and kids. Super stylish whether you are out and about in the urban jungle or wilderness.
34. TOMS Shoes – footwear and eyewear in a variety of styles and colours. For each pair of shoes or eyewear sold TOMS will give a pair to someone in need.
35. Traid Remade – Totally recycled and affordable fashion with the added bonus of us being a charity and so all the profits going to education and fighting injustice in the fashion industry and funding projects that are helping the larger industry with more ethics!
36. Urban Renewal at Urban Outfitters – made up of carefully selected items from around the world that bring the past to the present. An Urban Renewal item maybe vintage, recycled, or remade.
37. Veja – amazing eco friendly trainers and sneakers made with raw materials sourced from organic farming and ecological agriculture, without chemicals or polluting processes.
38. Vestiare Collective – preloved designer clothes from all of the big designer names.
39.Wool and the Gang – Seriously funky knitwear sustainbly created by a ‘global knitwork of gangstas’. If you want an even more affordable option Wool and the Gang also have some fantastic kits to knit your own fashion.
40. Yoox – a special ‘Yooxygen’ section on the Yoox website is dedicated to sustainable fashion and features ‘Master&Muse’ an eco friendly collection curated by Amber Valletta featuring Pachacuti, Monkee Genes and Joanna Cave jewellery.With warmest wishes